We realize that people come into this from one of a few places. Perhaps you are burdened for the at-risk child, but don't know where to dig in. Or maybe you're involved in serving kids from hard places and want more resources to do so. But we also understand that many people are just unaware of the current orphan crisis. Below you'll see many numbers that help expose the crisis... but our hope is that you'll see past the numbers and remember that each of these numbers represents a face and a name. Each one is a person made in God's image, full of humanity and personality, and greatly in need of compassion, love, and influence.
The Current Orphan Crisis*
- Ohio has an average of 23,000 children in foster care each year.
- There are over 1,500 children in foster care just in Montgomery & Greene Counties. Sadly, these numbers are rapidly increasing due to the heroin epidemic in our city.
- Over 415,000 children in foster care in the U.S. This is up 7,000 from the previous analysis.
- Roughly 20% of those children will be adopted. (Most kids in the foster system are not up for adoption...they are just in need of a temporary home.)
- Over 107,000 of those foster children are adoptable but still awaiting an adoptive family.
- Each year, almost 28,000 children “age out” of the foster care system without being adopted. That is 28,000 children becoming adults without the influence of an adult.
- 17,800,000 children living without any parents.
- 163,000,000 children in single parent & at risk situations.
- It is estimated that there are up to 8,000,000 more orphans who are undocumented due to being institutionalized or living on the street.
*As of October, 2017
These numbers may seem so overwhelming. It's true, the need is great, but it is not out of reach. If 1 of every 10 Christians in the United States were to open their home to foster or adopt, there would be NO more orphans in the entire world!
Our hope at Dayton Family Tree is to help resource and support Christian families so they can open their homes and end the orphan crisis!